Thursday, March 4, 2010

Giants "Retaliate" for Fielder's HR celebration

After an entire offseason to get over it, the Giants are still unhappy with Prince Fielder's "bowling pin/explosion" home run celebration. With his first pitch to Fielder today in the Brewers' first spring training contest, Giants Pitcher Barry Zito hit Fielder square in the back. Really? Is this still an issue? Fielder and the Brewers were just having fun. They weren't trying to show up the Giants, they were just excited to walk off with a win.

How did Fielder feel about it afterwards? Here's his thoughts via JSOnline:

I asked Prince if he thought the celebration was worth taking one in the back.

"Hell yeah," Fielder said. "That's something I did with me and my teammates. It has nothing to do with them.

"You're damn right it was worth it."


There is no reason the Giants need to retaliate, much less 6 MONTHS after the fact. I mean, they aren't ten years old, they need to suck it up and get over it. At least Fielder was good about, as he just picked up the ball and gave it back to Zito, without saying a word. He even got a good laugh about it with 1st base coach Ed Sedar. I was always a fan of Giants manager Bruce Bochy but today changed my opinion. Stay classy, San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment