Monday, September 14, 2009

Packers Response

I have not been this excited for a Packer season since 1998 after winning the Super Bowl. The Packers this preseason looked better than I ever saw them. As the game started it seemed as if they were outplaying the Bears but the scoreboard did not show it. After a few great scrambles and throws by Aaron Rodgers, the Packers just were not clicking. The Bears defense was not letting Aaron Rodgers have anytime and it seems as if the Packers need to replace Allen Barbe. Barbe did not even slow down the Bears' Adewale Ogunleye. So I think unless we find someone in house, we may need to trade a player like James Jones for a new right tackle.

The big discussion about Rodgers this offseason was whether he could win in the 4th quarter. While he may not have looked very sharp, he answered the critics with an incredible last drive. I still believe if he gets time to throw Aaron Rodgers will be this year's MVP. I love the Packer offense with an exception of the play of the right tackle. I think this offense is good enough to carry an okay defense to a division title and more. The Packers however, do not have an okay defense, they have a great defense.

I know it is just one game and not a lot can be deduced just from playing a Bears offense that has receivers may not start for USC. But this defense is completely different from the Packers' D of the last few years. It is a ball hawking squad that makes big plays in big times. Last year they could not seem to stop anybody; this year the Packers' defense look like they are on a mission. Cutler had a poor game but I credit this to the Packers' blitz schemes and superior pass coverage. Another thing that was overlooked about the Bears offense was the inability to get one of the best running backs in the league to get anything going. When teams ran against the Packers last year many times it seemed as if we were playing with 9 guys, this year it looks like we got 15. Also, John Jolly's interception was one of the most athletic plays I have ever seen by a guy over 300 lbs. I think Brandon Chillar's sack was the best by a guy under 300! Players seem confident already in the new scheme and make me confident this could be a great season.

I am so excited for the Packers and think 12-4 or 13-3 is my projected record.

BUT THAT'S JUST MY TWO CENTS FROM THE NOSE BLEEDS!

1 comment:

  1. overall agree- but say 12-4 is too optimistic... I say 11-5 ... offense did not look polished... but this they are going to start really hot, as early schedule is easy...

    ReplyDelete