Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Hardy Down to Minors

I strongly disagree with Doug Melvin's decision to move JJ Hardy down to the minors. I guess he wanted to "shake things up" but he went about it the wrong way. If he truly believes that Escobar is the future at SS fine, but this is not the best way to improve your team. JJ Hardy now has barely any trade value because he was sent to minors for poor preformance. Now we have to pay Escobar earlier and to be honest, I don't think he will be that big of an improvement from Hardy.
If we really wanted to "shake things up" we could have brought up Escobar and have him play SS often and move Hardy around seeing if he is a good 3B or 2B. I think this also hurts Hardy's confidence which has already been dwindling since the beganning of the year. It seems as if Hardy is pressing and maybe Melvin believes this will help him like it did to Rickie Weeks last season. But I think this just puts more pressure on Hardy who coming into the year was already getting questioned about switching positions to make room for Escobar. Doug Melvin I think you really screwed up and overracted. I believe Escobar will be an excellent Brewer one day, but I don't think this move helps the Brewers at all!

BUT THAT'S JUST MY TWO CENTS FROM THE NOSE BLEEDS!

2 comments:

  1. If it increases the Brewers control of Hardy until 2011, this would be the ultimate fake out by Melvin. I think he needs to be down in AAA for 21 days, in order for Hardy to have less service time that would allow him to no longer leave the Brewers after 2010, but instead 2011. This would greatly increase his trade value. And maybe next year around June, trade him, and bring up Escobar full time assuming Escobar stays healthy and is playing well. If Escobar gets hurt in the next 8 months, you have Hardy for the rest of next year, and can trade him again in 2011. Hardy still has a lot of value, top 6 SS in the league if you look at offense and defense in my opinion. If Hardy stays down for 21 days, gets his stroke back, and are able to trade him for a higher quality pitcher, this move will look genius in a few years.

    That is if I am reading the rules of baseball correctly...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I am a big boy I can handle it"

    ReplyDelete