Friday, July 24, 2009

What Cardinals Aquistion of Matt Holliday does for Brewers?


It felt like I got punched in the stomach this morning when I heard the St. Louis Cardinals were acquiring Matt Holliday from the A's. The Cardinals finally got protection for Albert Pujols and although he has not had his best season the last month he has really been getting hot. The fact is he is a huge upgrade for their already superior squad. With Holliday, Pujols, Derosa, and their already consistant lineup I do not think the Brewers have a legitimate shot anymore. I am not going to say the season is over, I just think playoffs are highly unlikely. With this acquistion I think the Cardinals have better hitting, starting pitching, and relief pitching and in the long run talent wins out.
What it means for Doug Melvin is don't trade away our next three seasons for a rental that could give us a little better shot. I don't want any prospects who will help our team to be traded unless the guy we are getting will makes us better and stay more than 1 year!
I just think with the Astros playing better than us, the Cubs still hibernating, and the Cardinals getting stronger; I think the Brewers have about a 10% chance of making playoffs which is too bad after the strong start.

No comments:

Post a Comment