Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tom Watson


Tom Watson had one of the most memorable non-Tiger finishes in a recent memory. I was amazed by the 59 year old's ability to stick with the field that was about 25 years younger than him. Had he won it would have been one of the most incredible victories by a golfer. He not only would have been the oldest to win a Major by more than 10 years he also would have set the record with 6 British Open Championships.

While I was very impressed with Watson's run you can't help but be upset with his last putt attempt. I understand he was tired and said he couldn't remember most of his shots because of his fatigue but never leave a championship putt short. I know you are tired and that would understand shanking a drive or unable to take one out of the weeds but an 8 foot putt doesn't take a lot of strength. I know should satiracal and many will say you would have missed the putt. I understand that but I can't shot -4 at a mini putt course so that is not a valid arguement. The fact I don't dream since the age of 7 of making that putt and having the crowd go wild. I don't continue to play at 59 for that opporunity to capture greatness. The slogan a few years ago for the PGA was very fitting, "these guys are good" and because of that I expect them to make a putt Charles Barkley could make.

I feel the sad part about this weekend is how little love was given to Stewart Cink. A very good golfer that finally got a major he deserved. It is a little disheartening that all the focus was on Watson and it seemed as if he were a villian for no reason. Even though he had two shades of baldness I cheered for him in the playoff. Watson and Cink made a usually forgettable British Open worthwhile again.

No comments:

Post a Comment