Monday, June 7, 2010

Suppan Released by Brewers


Veteran pitcher Jeff Suppan was released by the Milwaukee Brewers today in the most costly cut in Brewer history. Suppan, in the final year of his contract, still had more than $10 million left on his contract.

Suppan, in 2 starts and 13 relief appearances, had an 0-2 record and an ERA of 7.84.

His spot on the roster is being filled by right-hander Chris Smith, who will be promoted from Triple-A Nashville. Smith played 35 games for the Brewers last year, and has been dominant so far this year in Nashville, compiling a 2-1 record with 16 saves and an ERA of 1.71.

This is the statement released by Suppan earlier today:

"I want to thank Mark Attanasio and Doug Melvin for all they have done for my family and me, especially how they handled this situation.  I've played with a number of organizations, and the Brewers are one of the classiest.



"When I signed in 2007, I was committed to winning, and to this day I still am.  Nobody is more disappointed than I am with how things have turned out.  I enjoyed my time here in Milwaukee as both a player and a member of the community.  As such, I will continue my involvement with Brewers Charities for the remainder of the 2010 season.  My commitment to this cause and the people it serves is unwavering.

"I wish the Brewers organization, its fans and especially my teammates all the best."

No comments:

Post a Comment